I’ve put pressure on myself my entire life. I don’t really know where it comes from or why I’m like this, but I’ve just always had really high standards for myself – in all areas of life. Maybe it is because I’m the oldest child and that’s pretty common among first-born children? (#FirstChildAllTheWay) Maybe it’s my genetics? Or Maybe it’s my way of subconsciously pushing myself to be my best? I’m not totally sure.
But one thing’s for sure, I feel it, and I bet a lot of you do also! Whenever I bring up perfectionism on Instagrammy DMs blow up with people relating and wanting to hear MORE about it. So you know what that means – I did some digging into perfectionism and why we feel that way. And even more exciting, I studied how to overcome it.
I’ll be sharing the HOW part soon So be sure to come back then! But, let’s take things step-by-step. Today is the first step – figuring out if you feel that pressure. Or, I really just wanted to get a conversation going here about what it looks like to feel it to have this pressure hovering over you. Because, maybe you do, but you don’t realize it? I know that’s my story. I didn’t realize or accept that I was a perfectionist for the longest time. It’s become pretty clear to me though recently– I’m so #guilty. These 15 signs I’m sharing below will help you identify if that’s what’s holding you back as well.
15 Signs You Feel Pressure to Be Perfect.
Maybe you think that you feel that pressure but you actually don’t, or maybe you do feel that pressure without even realizing it. Feeling pressure to be perfect can manifest itself in so many different ways that I thought it might be helpful to share some of the signs that this is affecting you. I’m interested to know if you find yourself nodding your head to anything on the list. If you do, definitely let me know and we will get over this together!!
- You procrastinate on things, even if you really want to do them.
- You hide parts of yourself that you think are weird and unusual (though when you do share them with others, you become instant best friends).
- You’re scared of what other people think and only do things that you know others will approve of.
- You don’t finish everything you start. LITERALLY ME. DAILY.
- You let self-doubt control your actions and talk you out of your best ideas.
- You take criticism to heart to dwell on it.
- You’d rather do nothing than do something imperfectly. HI AGAIN guys, it’s me, B.
- You give up on habits as soon as you lose your streak.
- You’re not going after your dream career because you’re scared you’ll fail or that you’ll look stupid. So common in our twenties and thirties! (You may find this helpful)
- You try to fit in with everyone else by liking the same things they like, wearing the same things they wear and talking about the same things they talk about.
- You overthink every situation and over-analyze other people’s responses.
- You worry that other people are talking about you behind your back.
- You compare yourself to others, all the time.
- You never feel good enough.
- You don’t start a new project unless you’ve got everything planned out and it’s the perfect time.
If you did find yourself nodding to a lot of these, I’d love to hear why you think you feel this pressure. Let me know in the comment section below or on Instagram.
I think it’d be cool to get a conversation going about why we feel this way. Or why it impacts some of us and not others. If you DIDN’T nod along, why don’t you think you feel this pressure? OOOOOH this stuff makes me SO freaking excited! Can’t wait to chat more on this topic!
Don’t forget to subscribe to LiveLaughLearn.blog to stay up to date and follow on Instagram @LiveLaughLearn.blog